Network Stuff Found and Updated
- Announcing the Message Analyzer 1.1 Release! – MessageAnalyzer Blog
- Message Analyzer Performance – MessageAnalyzer Blog
- Download Microsoft Message Analyzer 1.1 – Microsoft Download Center
- Fiddler – version 184.108.40.206 released
- Fiddler Add Ons – Not sure how I missed these, but here are a number of additional “add-on” packages to extend the features and capabilities of Fiddler.
- httpry – *nix packet sniffer to display and log HTTP traffic. Spotted at One Thing Well
- Top 5 Network Monitoring Tools for Windows 8 / 7 – Well, according to the Windows Club at least.
- Nmap – Now updated to version 6.47. For details see the Nmap Change Log.
- Easily Blocking Application in Windows Firewall with Firewall App Blocker – Next of Windows
- NetSurveyor 802.11 Network Discovery Tool – NUTS ABOUT NETS – There are already more than a few handy free Wi-Fi identification and troubleshooting tools but here is another one I have just found.
- NetWorx – SoftPerfect – free tool to monitor bandwidth, connection speed, and traffic usage. Has installable and portable versions. Nice tool for the network troubleshooting toolbox.
Which brings me back to the pretty cool Windows “firewall” application GlassWire. Previously featured viatinyapps.org, I spotted a new review of it that had some fresh examples of its usefulness; illustrating alert event marking for later examination. In one case, it helped a user discover network activity from malware that had gone undetected.
- Meet GlassWire, The Prettiest Bandwidth & Internet Security Monitor For Your Windows PC – MakeUseOf blog.
Then in those comments there was a reference to the KDE application KNemo – Network Monitor.
Utilities of Usefulness
- AOMEI PE Builder – I’m always keeping one eye open on new WinPE building tools and this seems useful for the non-tech crowd who may not be up to taking on a project from the WinBuilder tool or one of the many specialized building sets at reboot.pro. For someone just getting their feet wet, this might be a good place to get started.
- OPSWAT AppRemover – I keep rediscovering this tool every year or so. It is updated regularly and can aid in the removal of many Supported Applications. Good for a first-pass on a new OEM system.
- GEGeek Tech Toolkit – Considering the work I do finding and maintaining all the tools and utilities on my own USB stick, this seems like a cheat, but if you are lazy, here you go. Related are the NirLauncher package builder and KLS Soft’s WSCC – Windows System Control Center(also update to version 220.127.116.11 as of Sept 2014).
- OpenSaveFilesView – NirSoft – new utility that displays files previously opened with the open/save dialog box. More on NirBlog. Spotted via this Betanews post.
- FixWin v 2 for Windows 8, Windows 8.1 – The Windows Club – Easy but powerful tool to fix common Windows issues. Use with caution. Similar tool may be (the no longer developed but still available) d7 Free tool from Foolish IT LLC.
Lights, Sound, Action!